Friday, May 19, 2006

the No-Slip Grip® :^)

If you belong to Jesus, can he ever lose track of you?
"And I give eternal life to them, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. My father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand."
- John 10.28-29
Well, I guess not. A friend of mine referred to this as the "no-slip grip," an phrase from a decades-old TV ad.

He also pointed out that if you receive salvation and then lose it, then the "eternal" life wasn't very eternal; it only lasted a few years or whatever.

Which is puzzling, because there are some people -- like Templeton, described in Lee Strobel's The Case for Christ -- who used to be, or seemed to be, ardent believers, but who now disavow any connection with Christ. I don't know what to make of this; perhaps we'll find out in heaven.

"I and the Father are one."

Again the Jews picked up stones to stone him....

"We are not stoning you for any of these, but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God."

- John 10.30-31,33
I always find it annoying when people say, "Jesus never claimed to be God."

This is just one of the places where Jesus says he is God.
Some say that means that he and the Father are united in purpose,
but that just doesn't wash. Everyone around him at the time knew
what he was claiming.

Jesus had a way of polarizing people. Some followed him and some
wanted to kill him, but I don't think many were indifferent.

How different from today, when so many people think they already know
all they care to know about Him!

So are we seeking him today? Am I?

(written yesterday 5/19, posted today 5/20)

No comments: