Wednesday, May 24, 2006

an inconvenient truth

I'd like to write today about something I saw in John chapter 14.
"I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me"
John 14.6
This is one of these verses I sometimes wish weren't there. You know how your friends say christians are so dogmatic or exclusive or whatever. But the truth is exclusive. AIDS is caused by a virus which is transmitted between humans in certain ways; it's not caused by evil bushes planted by white people.

Jesus said unpopular things like "No one comes to the Father but by me". It would be a lot more convenient in this modern world if he'd said something different. Or the disciples. Peter says inconvenient things like "there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men, by which we must be saved." Very inconvenient for modern (or post-modern) people living in this post-modern age.

No comments: