Sunday, May 07, 2006

And that really bothers me...

So what does it mean to be a friend of the world? Does it mean you can't be rich?

Look, Abraham was rich. Job was rich.

But the fact that I'm even asking that question shows how far my heart is from the heart of God. I'm looking for a formula, an action plan. I want something I can execute and still be all right, but God is looking for transformation. He wants a relationship. He doesn't need tasks executed -- he could do that himself.

All these things my hand has made and so all these things are mine, declares the Lord. But this is the one to whom I will look: to him who is humble and contrite in heart, to revive the spirit of the lowly, and to revive the heart of the contrite. (Is that a verse, or did I conflate two or more of them?)

Gaaa, even when I think I memorize a verse, what it says still surprises me.

Transformation, not tasks; relationship, not ritual. Come to think of it, that's what the lovely Carol wants from me too.

No comments: