Saturday, June 27, 2009

nfsserver, autofs, etc., all working now: opensuse 10.2

the luddite finally has the computer up. 1280x1024 intel graphics, 24-bit color (yay), and it doesn't crash. The way nfsserver and autofs work on opensuse10.2 differs from the 9.3 setup, which caused a pile of annoyance. Bottom line, this sort of thing used to work:
collin@p3:~> cat /etc/auto.master
/home2 /etc/auto.home udp,--timeout 60
etc...
collin@p3:~> cat /etc/auto.home
collin -rw,hard,intr,rsize=4096,wsize=4096,udp p4:/home/collin
etc...
but it doesn't now :( Instead I ended up doing this in /etc/auto.master:
/mnt/home      /etc/auto.mnt-home     udp,--timeout 60
collin@p3:~> cat /etc/auto.mnt-home
collin -rw,hard,intr,rsize=4096,wsize=4096,udp p4:/home/collin
etc...
The directory /mnt must exist before starting autofs, but /mnt/home need not exist (must not exist?? I'm not sure but am not inclined to experiment now that it all finally works). I seem to remember from a Long Time Ago that it was considered bad medicine to NFS-mount toplevel directories (e.g., /data1) -- better to symlink /data1 to /mnt/data1 and NFS-mount the latter. So I've just made up a new superstition, let autofs create directories at least one level down. Thus, I have a pre-existing directory /mnt and I tell autofs to create /mnt/home, /mnt/data, and so on.

So if you're getting unexplained 521s when trying to mount stuff with autofs, this might have something to do with it.

What's left?

Printing and sound, in that order. Well, printing *might* work -- I just haven't tried it. Sound definitely doesn't. I have hope, though, because sound works on the box at my office under this very same distro. More later.

No comments: