Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Just how spiritual do you think I am?

Sometimes I wonder if people who read this blog think I'm more spiritual than I actually am. Or maybe, if you haven't been reading carefully, you think I've got all the answers.

I hate to disappoint you ("My fans are my life," as my friend Barry says) but, ah, no.

I may not struggle with exactly the same issues you do, but there's a lot of overlap. Do you worry too much about what other people think? I do sometimes.

Do you sometimes fail to do what you know you should? Me too.

Are your priorities skewed? Mine sometimes are; I'm a little too interested in food and sex and not quite interested enough in diet and exercise—a little too interested in technology and new ideas, and not always whole-hearted in my pursuit of spiritual transformation.

And so when our pastor talked a few days ago about being a whole-hearted follower of Jesus rather than just admiring him, I had to think.
Yancey writes that he was supposed to sign a statement of faith saying he believed this and that "without mental reservation." He commented that he barely can get out of bed without mental reservation.
By the end of the sermon, I decided that both Yancey and I are a bit too literal-minded.

Here's the thing: I read passages like Colossians 1:28-29, which talks about laboring "with all his energy, which so powerfully works in me." I don't labor in anything with all of his energy, or mine either for that matter. And I remember times I have failed in the past -- not to do the "I do not deserve to live" thing, but just to have a sober view of myself -- it is God, not I, who got me here.

You too, I daresay. The point, though, is that in case there's anyone left out there who thinks me more spiritual than I actually am, please think again. And by the way, there's no need to worry about how spiritual someone else is.

And in case you're afraid you're not spiritual enough, then I say to you: never mind all that; just follow Jesus.

No comments: