Sunday, November 05, 2006

Provoked by a fool?

Some time ago, I heard about Dawkins's book calling God a delusion -- apparently even non-religious commentators think his rhetoric egregious. On another occasion, I saw Hitchens's anti-God book at Borders, and read a few paragraphs. And have I mentioned Pinker's ranting?

These fellows are no doubt brilliant in their fields (I have two of Pinker's books on my shelf and one in my headboard; I have read and enjoyed Hitchens's writing in the Atlantic). But when it comes to calling all religious people deluded, or saying God doesn't exist? I've said such silly things myself, when I was young and foolish, and what I've read of Pinker's rants and Hitchens's book makes me feel somewhat embarrassed for them. They are far more articulate than I ever was or will be, but their arguments are no less dumb.

Both Psalm 14:1 and Psalm 53:1 tell us, The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God."

Which is why, when I heard Richard Dawkins on the radio the other day, I was annoyed. I didn't start wondering about my faith, but I had to repress the urge to bang my head against the wall. And when I saw this verse I was happy to note that the Bible is as timely as what's on the radio:
Stone is heavy and sand a burden,
but provocation by a fool is heavier than both.
Proverbs 27:3
The other thing about this verse is that it's a warning for those of us who haven't stopped saying foolish things... to be aware that we can provoke people. Not a good thing.

Lord, help me today to walk with you; save me from my own folly, and help me to be a blessing to those around me, rather than provoking them.

actually written 2007-10-05

No comments: