Monday, November 06, 2006

"I'll pray for you..."

How often have we heard, or said that? And how much follow-through has there been? Honestly, it varies, right? Today's reading in Hebrews 7 is about a high priest who prays for us faithfully. The usual priests grow old and die,
but because Jesus lives forever, he has a permanent priesthood. Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.
Hebrews 7.24-25
It's exciting to see how fired up the author is about Jesus's priesthood, and to think of what that means to me today. Some of those old songs, though really corny, are really true -- "Shadows dispelling with joy I am telling he made all the darkness depart" -- or he can if we turn to him. When I think about stooopid things I've done in the past -- and not just dumb things, but rude, selfish, arrogant, insensitive things (and I don't have to go very far back in the past either), and about how those are forgiven and forgotten, and how the great high priest is praying for me, then, well, when I remember it, life is good!

But how often I forget. "Help me Lord, for you are good all the time, but I am weak and easily distracted."


actually written 11/7 but I was so excited about 7.25 I felt I had to write about it...

No comments: