Thursday, November 17, 2005

I can swim, but I can't give blood

I am not doing a very good job of keeping in shape, but this morning I dragged myself to the pool and swam a few hundred yards. Usually I try to keep track of how many lengths I swim by thinking about (I'm not spiritual enough to actually meditate) on a verse or passage, which has the number in it, e.g. for the 1st length, Genesis 1.1 or some similar verse; for 2, Proverbs 2; for 3, Romans 3.23 or John 3.16 or 1 John 3.something.

I drifted off and I think I became aware around 12 (and do not be conformed to the world, but be transformed) or 13 (a new command I give unto you) or maybe it was 14 (he who has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me). I ended up doing 600 or maybe 650 yards. I came home and loaded both girls' bicycles onto the back of the car, went back into the house, where the lovely Carol was working on her email tasks. Woke the girls up, startling Jenny in the process.

Sitting on the train, waiting for it to pull out of the station, I suddenly heard the voices of a great multitude of junior-high kids, lining up (after a fashion) outside the train car. I turned to the fellow behind me. "Looks like it's our lucky day!" There were more than enough kids to fill all the seats, even if nobody else was there. They certainly were loud. I shushed a boy sitting next to me, who was yelling to a friend about 3 feet away. I thought, "Shoulda told him to use his indoor voice, instead of just shushing him."

I had an appointment to give blood this afternoon. I filled in the form, dutifully telling them that yes I have had chest pains and so far they didn't find what it was, although they didn't like my stress-test results. Apparently my blood is now not good enough for them... at least not 'til I get a definitive diagnosis. Or a clean bill of health.

Well.

I am trying to review my old Bible verses more often. My problem is that once I'm convinced I have them word for word, I press on to the next verse. What's my hurry? Instead, why not think about the verse a little more?
For we also thank God because, when you received from us the word of God's message, you received it, not as the word of men, but for what it really is, the word of God, which also performs its work in you who believe.

I believe it's performing its work in my life as well, although I'm sometimes hard pressed to see what that work is.

No comments: