Monday, May 11, 2009

my opinion on the 5/19 propositions

  • 1A, 1B: Yes; these require more prudence in the state budgeting process. Although I wasn't sure about 1B (is it wise to give the legislature and governor more discretion on how education funding gets distributed?), the fact that nobody submitted an argument against 1B, plus 1B's other good points, convinces me that YES is the way to go on 1B.
  • 1C: Borrow from future lottery profits? This is one of the stupider propositions I've seen. No!
  • 1D, 1E: Raid various other programs to deal with general fund issues? Hey, there was a reason we passed those things in the first place.
  • 1F: freeze legislators' pay in budget deficit years? I can't say I'm all that excited about this one, but generally speaking it seems like a good idea.
That's what I think, anyway -- and these opinions + $1.40 will get you a short regular coffee somewhere....

and one on Redwood City measure "E"

This assesses each parcel $91/year for a decade or so. That's about $8/month per -lot-. So if you live in an apartment building with, say, 8 units? The owner pays $8/month more for the building; it'll cost you $1/month if the owner even bothers to calculate that in.

Yes, someone in a 700K$ home pays the same as someone in a 7M$ home per year, but that doesn't bother me much. The RCSD, which has the lowest per-pupil funding in all of San Mateo county, deserves a break -- rather, the kids deserve it. What, you don't have any kids? These kids are gonna be adults here in a few years, whether they're yours or not.

No comments: