Friday, January 23, 2009

A happy wake-up “call”

A sound was coming from the den. It wasn't a ticking or a beeping, but it sounded tinny, like something from a telephone receiver. But who would be calling before 7:00 on Saturday morning?

Was a phone left off the hook? No -- the sound had just started. It had a rhythm....

I followed the sound to the younger teen's desk. Once I opened the drawer, the sound got a lot clearer.
     Wake up hands, wake up hands,
Wake up hands, and wiggle, wiggle, wiggle.
Wake up hands, wake up hands,
Wake and wiggle in the morning.
It was coming from her cell phone: the voice of the elder teen (currently away at college), recorded to wake her in the morning. Nostalgia rose in my chest -- How old were my kids when they listened to songs like that from a cassette player? -- and much fond affection.

And it made me wonder again: How did I ever get so lucky? How is it that I got to enjoy these brilliant, generous, charming girls all these years, to watch them blossom into amazing young women and become best friends?

This won't convince anyone who doesn't believe in a loving God, but these girls have turned out way better than we had any right to expect. And to anyone who claims that life is unfair, all I can say is, "Thank God for that!"

No comments: