Saturday, December 23, 2006

to Zerubbabel: Not by might nor by power...

If you've hung around churches (or Synagogues maybe?) much you may have heard this verse from the book of Zechariah:
“This is the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel: ‘Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,’ says the Lord Almighty.”
from Zechariah 4.6
I don't know how many times I've heard or read this verse, and maybe I just never paid attention before, but I had taken it generically. You know, that God's purposes will be accomplished by a work of his Spirit in the lives of individuals, not necessarily by a big well-equipped organization.

But for some reason, when I looked at it today, I noticed that it seems to be a word of encouragement to Zerubbabel, meant to strengthen him in the face of opposition. Because the next verse begins:
“What are you, O mighty mountain? Before Zerubbabel you will become level ground....”
from Zechariah 4.7
In other words, "though the wrong seem oft so strong, God is the ruler yet." Or "the race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong" but God's Spirit can overcome any obstacle -- miraculously or simply by bringing strength and endurance to his people.

If, as you seek to fulfill God's purposes, you feel overwhelmed by the size of the task or the obstacles arrayed against you, this verse may be for you!

Victory is determined ...not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit, declares the Lord.

Amen!

No comments: