Sunday, October 22, 2006

Let's do it

One of the most encouraging verses in the New Testament, at least to me, is in today's reading from 2 Timothy:
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, love, and self-control.
2 Timothy 1.7
Apparently Timothy wasn't too sure of himself, maybe feeling a little insecure. Maybe he was feeling like it all depended on him.

Because in the immediately preceding verses, Paul mentions Timothy's faith and a gift from God, and the verse immediately following begins, So do not be ashamed to testify... (2 Timothy 1.8).

Why do I think this is so cool? Because I often feel inadequate, I'm not sure of what I'm doing, whether it's what I should be doing, whether I'm making a fool of myself, whether I ought to just quit kidding myself and everybody else and get serious already. And then remembering this verse, I'm reminded to look back and remember what I've received from the Lord, which gives me the assurance I'm not going off half-cocked....

So when I think about what God might want me to do to encourage husbands and fathers, or to help strengthen his church in Japan -- or about just living out my calling as a husband and father and brother and friend -- Help Is Available for me through the Spirit of God.

And for you too. Good news, huh?

No comments: