Sunday, October 08, 2006

Archippus who?

Today's reading contains what my friend Paul says is his favorite verse:

Say to Archippus: "See to it that you complete the work you have received in the Lord."
Colossians 4.17

When I read this verse, I sometimes wonder who Archippus was, what he was like, what his work was, and why Paul felt it important to tell him this. Of course this is in addition to wondering what my work is, whether I'm doing it, and what Paul would have written to me.

So here are a few thoughts about this verse.

Apparently Archippus knew what his work was; Paul didn't have to give him a lot of specifics.

But he did seem to need encouragement, or maybe a reminder. Did he get discouraged or distracted? Did he wonder if he was being effective? Was he unsure whether he really did receive his work "in the Lord"?

Is it obvious how I came up with that list?

This is a good verse for me, because I am easily distracted and often find interesting things to think about or do - things that can take up a lot of time and energy. So a reminder like this one is good for me.

And it's also good news, because to think that I really do have a mission from God - well, that's a powerful thing.

So I have a message for us today, for you and for me: See to it that you complete the work you have received in the Lord.

I just thought of something else: The work we have not received in the Lord... that's work we do not have to do. That's good news too!

No comments: