Thursday, July 06, 2006

Peace and Safety

What keeps you awake at night? If the lovely Carol is not in bed with me - if she's traveling or something - that will do it. For some reason I just have a really hard time sleeping when she's not around. Yesterday my mom went in for unexpectedly urgent (not to say "emergency") heart surgery. Though I know the verse that says "Don't be anxious about anything" -- well, that's easier said than followed.

But this verse from yesterday's reading came to mind:

I will lie down and sleep in peace
for you alone, O Lord,
make me dwell in safety.
(Psalm 4.8)

Now here's an important thing for me to remember.

It's not anyone's health, the construction of the house or office building, the retirement funds -- that's not what gives security and a good night's sleep; whatever safety we have is only from the Lord.


(for July 6; posted 7/8)

No comments: