Monday, July 31, 2006

OK, missed my train so...

Here is the example I heard some years back. It wasn't presented as an example, but as a true-life anecdote. When I heard it, I finally understood how this passage might work today.

There was a Christian couple -- let's call them Joe and Jane. They were engaged but not yet married, and attending different colleges. On one weekend, Joe would drive over to Jane's college and spend the night in his sleeping bag on the floor in her dorm room. On another weekend, Jane would do the driving/visiting.

This story was told to me without any raising of eyebrows -- or any other sign of doubt or disbelief -- so I have no reason to suspect that anything "happened" in their rooms.

But there is no way I would have considered an arrangement like this safe for myself. I mean, when Carol and I were engaged, we were very excitable. Could we have spent a night alone together in a room without succumbing to temptation? Maybe, but I wouldn't want to bet on it.

Anyway, back to Joe and Jane: I think their arrangements could have been a stumbling block to people. Because they would have provoked a bunch of tongue-clicking? Nope. I mean because someone else might follow their example ("Joe and Jane do it," they might think) but not be able to resist the temptation. Would they be destroyed by that? Well, they probably wouldn't be hit by a truck the next morning or spend eternity in hell, but yielding to a sexual temptation like that could have enduring effects.

And why sex in particular? Let's discuss that when we get to 1 Corinthians 6.

No comments: