Tuesday, June 06, 2006

More political incorrectness!

Jesus stated an inconvenient truth, which is not very popular in postmodern America: that he's the only way to God. But it doesn't stop with him. Peter and John were jailed overnight for "teaching the people and proclaiming in Jesus the resurrection of the dead." (Acts 4.2). Now I may have said a few politically incorrect things, but I never got thrown into jail for them. The next morning, the "Powers-That-appear-to-Be" question them. Here is part of Peter's reply:
And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.
from Acts 4.12
Talk about inconvenient! That is really uncomfortable, if you care what other people think.

So I noticed something here. Peter and John saw someone and helped him out, then they explain to the amazed crowd what just happened. That's why they got thrown in jail. The speech above is in response to a question asked by the "rulers, elders and teachers of the law". (You can tell these guys haven't been to law school, because they ask a question when they have no idea what the answer will be.) Basically Peter and John do what they do, and then they answer questions.

I don't do stuff like that. I mean, I don't heal lame or blind people. Then I don't get asked a lot of questions. I don't get thrown in jail, then asked more questions.

I think I am missing something about the Christian life. When I figure it out, I'll let you know.

No comments: