Saturday, June 10, 2006

He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty

My wife asked me the other day about dreams I had when I was younger. Believe it or not, in nearly 20 years of marriage we haven't talked about this. Anyway, back in the early '70s, I wanted to build a car -- not just any car, but a good car, made in the USA. Growing up, our family only had Volkswagens, because my dad was fed up with the poor quality and fuel economy of cars built in the US. I never did that, but DeLorean did. I never developed a hybrid grain, like Nobel winner Norman Borlaug did (and probably saved more lives than any other living human being).

But here is something that we can do... or at least try to:
He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty
And he who rules his spirit than he who captures a city.
Proverbs 16.32
This says that greatness is within the reach of every child of God. We don't have to build a car (or a car company) and we certainly don't have to end up like DeLorean did.

But to be slow to anger -- to be patient, to rule my spirit -- these are things I can get help from the Lord on. And at the end of our lives, who is it that hears "Well done, good and faithful servant"? Is it the rich, the gifted, the mighty? No, it's those who believe that God rewards those who seek him diligently.

No comments: