Monday, January 19, 2015

snow leopard to Yosemite upgrade, part deux: dovecot

continued from part one

Found this post from Robert Chalmers, advising me to upgrade dovecot to something more modern… which requires libiconv. So:

While in the midst of that, I figured I should get rid of the old dovecot from mac ports. So I said "port list | grep dovecot" and found instead a dovecot2, which I decided to install:
mini1:~ collin$ sudo port install dovecot2
After some muddling around with that (I had to deactivate some old packages basically), I became root and…
bash-3.2# doveconf -n > dovecot-new.conf
bash-3.2# mv dovecot-new.conf /opt/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
But trying to run dovecot gave me an error message... default login user (dovenull) doesn't exist. Why not? Because it's spelled wrong.
bash-3.2# grep dovenull /etc/passwd
_dovenull:*:227:227:Dovecot Authentication:/var/empty:/usr/bin/false
bash-3.2# 
So I added the required line to dovecot.conf:
default_login_user = _dovenull
and voilà (pardon my French). I ran over to the lovely Carol's desktop computer and restarted Mail.app; 80 new messages.

Praise God from whom all blessings flow! Thus is #4 solved.

No comments: