- Buy a water heater installation kit, you know, the package with
two water hoses (one cold, one hot) and a gas supply hose, and pipe-thread tape
(which I heard is not actually “Teflon® tape”)
- The gas supply hose might have the wrong gender(s).
- The water hoses might be too short or too long.
- Waste “teflon tape”
on threads that don't need it
- the water hoses don't need it because the connection is secured by pressure, not by the threads.
- most of the gas hoses don't need it either
- Put white “teflon tape”
on gas-pipe threads that do need it
- You can find dire warnings on the ’net about doing this. Use pipe dope instead.
- Use a drain pan that isn't big enough to catch any possible dripping when
your new water heater starts leaking someday.
- Because it will.