Saturday, September 11, 2010

Espresso raises "bad" cholesterol?

Lately I've heard about these oils called "terpenes" that tend to raise one's level of LDL (the so-called "bad") cholesterol. Paper filters remove these harmful oils, but apparently metal doesn't. I use a "gold" filter at home, and I seem to remember that my niece's husband makes coffee with a French press. The lovely Carol uses a moka sometimes.

Now to put this in perspective, drinking French press coffee, or espresso, etc., isn't in the same league with, say, smoking. But I might start using paper filters again.

I searched on terpene and espresso to find this one from articlesbase.com; it also pointed to this from coffeedetective.com, which in turn referenced this one on msn.com. You now know everything I do about this subject, which isn't saying much.

No comments: