Saturday, September 26, 2009

A visit to K&L

Some time ago, I received a gift of "1999 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Domaine du Vieux Telegraphe" which I finally opened in July. It was pretty darned special, but I figured that another bottle like that would be very expensive. Not knowing how to get the next best thing, and encouraged by some reviews on yelp!, I headed over to K&L right here in Redwood City, which is friendly, very well-stocked, and when I arrived about half an hour ago (just before five on a hot Saturday afternoon) not too crowded.

I looked around a bit before asking (hey, I'm a guy, right?) a pleasant and knowledgeable young lady for some advice. She was relabeling the shelves, which apparently had gotten out of whack. Yes, she could advise me. I told her that I recently opened that particular bottle, and said it was very nice ("Yes, I'm sure it was," she remarked). She had some sort of accent, maybe from somewhere in Europe? Anyway, we found a 2004 or 2005 vintage/version/whatever of the same wine I'd liked, and it was like $90. Yow!

She pointed me at a 2006 wine and a 2004 also, from the same "house" (that "appelation Châteauneuf-du-Pape controllee" thing you see on wines, and on bottles of Newman's Own salad dressing). $24 for one and $30 for the other. I brought both home -- whoops, looks like they charged me $30 for each (29.99 + tax); I'll have to give 'em a call about that.

Update

I called them on the phone and they credited me with the difference. Then they sent me an email (I registered with them) correcting my record of what I'd bought there. So I concur with the fans at Yelp.

No comments: