Saturday, June 09, 2007

More on "just atoms"

So I was thinking about this "just atoms" idea, and what the Bible has to say about it. Well, of course you won't find the word "atom" there, but anyway, while waiting for the service to start this evening, I jotted down a few references.
1 Thessalonians 5:23
May your whole spirit, soul, and body be kept blameless...
Genesis 2:7
The Lord God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being
Ecclesiastes 3:11
He has set eternity in their hearts
Jeremiah 1:5
Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart
That was an interesting exercise, but what occurred to me is that the Bible takes the viewpoint that we are responsible beings with moral choice -- the key message of Genesis 3. We were created to rule (Genesis 1 and 2). There's accountability. If you build a machine and it doesn't do what you want it to, you fix it, you oil it, you redesign it, whatever; you don't punish it, and you don't hold it responsible for its failings.

The Bible assumes we're accountable for our actions... it runs throughout the text. So I'll go ahead and say it: On the question of "are we ‘just atoms&rsquo?" the Bible Just Says No.

No comments: