Wednesday, July 01, 2020

Solved!! LG 34UM58-P Revisited: a Puzzle

In 2017, I bought an LG 34um58p monitor and, after some xrandr(1) hackery, got the display to work, more or less. But the display was always a little ugly, as described in a 2019 whine.

Today, for unrelated reasons, I upgraded my Linux distro from Debian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie) to Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch). I rebooted and Surprise! First, I didn't need to run my xrandr script. Second, the pixels actually look good; no smearing/dithering as shown in the aforementioned whine from 2019.

I was so excited to see the new sharper image (no ™) that I whipped out my iPhone™ camera and snapped the pic at right. Although I didn't set up the camera as carefully as I did for last year's shot, I hope you can see how much nicer it looks now.

No comments: