Saturday, October 13, 2018

Letter to Dad: the door and some news

Dear Dad,

Do you remember a few years back, you had me work on the closer for your bedroom door? No, it still works fine, but yesterday the girls (well, they're close to 60 now) noticed that the door wasn't closing all that well. I don't think it's the closer; the door needed some planing I thought.

I had a heck of a time getting into the cabinet where you keep it; had to step over a bunch of stuff; several sheets of plywood make it hard to fully open the doors. Anyway, I fished out the plane and cranked the adjuster clockwise a little. Man, did it bite into the door! I tried to back it off, and pretty soon I couldn't turn it at all.

Guess it's been too long, because I'd forgotten about the left-handed threads. Ended up jamming the adjuster so I couldn't turn it, and then used the hammer-and-screwdriver trick you showed me. Unfortunately, that only made it worse because I turned it the wrong way!

I opened the other cabinet and found an almost-empty can of oil, and got some on the threads. That's when I discovered they're left-handed. But turning the adjuster the other way (which would back it off the jammed position) would force the blade further out. Not the way I wanted it to go!

First I got the adjuster to a place where I could turn it. Then I noticed that the blade didn't move freely with the adjuster. So I took it apart further and found two screws that held the blade-holder to the body of the plane. Apparently the plane had suffered some trauma that forced the blade in an always-out position.

With the blade-holder in a better position and with some oil on the blade assembly (sorry, the oilcan is even closer to empty now), the blade moves well and tracks the adjuster.

I planed the door a little, remembering with some fondness the operations done on it a few years ago. It's better now, but it still needs a yank or a thump to get latched. I wonder if loosening the, umm, strike plate would work? In any case, it's better now than before I started.

And the plane is working better.

Oh, I think you would be happy to see the little platform I made for the door the last time I was here. (Neil was a big part of the process.) When I took Mom to the doctor in January, she mentioned to him that she fell on her 'okole going out the door. The platform is the same height as the floor in the bedroom, so she walks straight out through the door. We also put a handrail. Keith drove most of the screws for that.

After I installed the platform, Neil and I think Jana remarked it would be nice if it was moved about 6" to the right. Neil did that operation and I think it was a good change.

About Keith: You would be happy to know that he passed FAA school and is working now at the Oakland ARTC center. I'm sure you remember visiting there many years ago. He lives near Sheri and Peter.

Oh, and I've been thinking about changing jobs. Yes, I remember you told me to find a job with a good company and stay there. Well, that worked for the first 26 years, and it's worked well enough for the next 16. But after 42 years, I'm thinking to maybe try something else.

I expect to be visiting Apple to see if it's a good fit for me. The guy hasn't given me a date yet, but it's OK because I'm in no hurry (there's something I'd like to finish at NetApp before I go, if I go). There's another place that I visited, a small company that would be exciting to work at because it's still in its early stages.

Dad, I still miss you terribly sometimes. You know that a lot of the time I try to do what I think you would do, or would want me to. I always think of you when I give blood, which I did a couple weeks ago. Next year I think I'll hit 8 gallons.


Love,

No comments: