Saturday, January 28, 2017

THREE recipes for apple pie?

The recipes are linked in the table headers, but I noticed some difference in the relative amounts of various ingredients.
   Betty Crocker    Taste of Home   Pillsbury 
oven temp 425°F 375°F 425°F
sugar ⅓ ~ ½ cup ½ cup +
½ cup brown
¾ cup
flour ¼ cup 3 Tbsp 2 Tbsp
cinnamon ½ tsp 1 tsp ¾ tsp
nutmeg ½ tsp ¼ tsp +
¼ tsp ginger
⅛ tsp
salt ⅛ tsp - ¼ tsp
apples 8 cup 6–7 cup 6 cup
butter 2 Tbsp 1 Tbsp -
lemon juice - 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp
egg white - 1 large -
Enough of this; time to bake. (I'm going with Betty Crocker.)
Update: It went well. A few more points:
  • The crust. The lovely Carol froze two crusts’ worth of pastry dough, which she kindly thawed for me. I rolled one out and laid it in a deep dish 24cm (9½-inch) pie plate. (plate?? It was glass, otherwise I'd have said "pie tin")
  • Apples. I used a modern convenience, an apple peeler and corer like this one; it worked wonderfully. We had four fairly small "Granny Smith" apples. I found one apple-like fruit, which I also peeled/cored/sliced. It was a pear, but I threw it in anyway. Then more random apples, for a total of about 7 cups. yes, I slacked off...
  • Oven. Preheated to 425°F.
  • Everything but the butter got combined in a big bowl, then piled into the empty pie shell. Then melt the butter and dot the filling with it.
  • Rolled the other pie crust out (remember to roll from the center outward), laid it on top, and tucked it under the bottom shell, trimming the excess. Poke some holes in the crust
  • Cover edges with foil strips, about 3" wide, and bake 25 minutes
  • After 25 minutes, remove foil and check occasionally for the pie crust to brown and the juice to appear in the holes.
    At about 40 minutes, the crust was brown but juice wasn't coming out. So I turned the oven off and checked it maybe 10 minutes later, when I removed it.
It tasted pretty good to me :)

No comments: