Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Citrix Receiver 13.0: "The server name cannot be resolved" -- when 13 really is unlucky

I upgraded my desktop at the office last November, but until yesterday, Citrix Receiver was giving me the network equivalent of the Blue Screen of Death (image at right).

I didn't understand it. I adjusted the configuration file. I copied the parameters from a colleague's configuration file. I replaced the hostname by a dotted-quad address (as in 10.34.27.81). But I kept seeing "The server name cannot be resolved" like a broken record.

Then I remembered someone's comment about the most important skill of a system administrator, viz., “the ability to use google.” So, yes, I did a web search with that phrase "The server name cannot be resolved" (with quotes) and "Citrix receiver" (without). Within a few clicks I found this post, which contained:

Workaround:
I have installed Citrix Receiver for Linux ver.12.1 on Ubuntu 13.10 64 bit:
https://www.citrix.c...ux-121.html#top
followed by steps:
https://help.ubuntu....xICAClientHowTo
(Citrix Receiver 12.1 on Ubuntu 13.10 64-bit)
and it is working for me.
Which solved my problem! Downloaded from this page, said
$ sudo rpm -Uvh --nodeps ICAClient-12.1.0-0.x86_64.rpm
and that was it.

Why the --nodeps? Well, though it claims to be a 64-bit rpm, the executable is a 32-bit binary. It wants 32-bit libraries, which I didn't have installed on my 64-bit box. But the dependencies may have been a little aggressive. In any case, it installed and ran just fine.

No comments: