I found a link to download darwin ports, but the link didn't work. Good thing, too, since a few searches later I discovered this darwinports fraud page. The Real Thing, according to this page, is now macports.
Feeling somewhat dizzy, I did a little more searching and became convinced that what I sought was indeed macports, not darwinports. Further proof came in a working download and a smooth installation of the desired software -- dovecot in case you were interested.
More about that later, but for now I wanted to tell you about this name change. That is, in case I'm not absolutely the last person to find out.