Saturday, July 31, 2010

Biking up Old La Honda Road

We biked out the garage this morning, the ex-teenager and I, not sure how much of a ride we'd have. She went hiking yesterday and was quite sore, so we said, well, we'll see how far we get. We rode past our church buildings and southwest on Santa Cruz Avenue, and she said she was game to start up Old La Honda Road and see how far we got.

I told her that if we took it easy and stayed in low gear, we could make it all the way to the top, and the short version is: that's what we did. You can see our route here; click on "Show elevation" to see how hard we worked to get up there. Click "Show notes" to see the meaning of "A" and "B" near the top of the hill.

It was a good workout! A couple of times we stopped and I wiped the sweat out of my eyes. At the top, I took a picture of us with my phone, but forgot to click "Save" before closing it, so I guess we'll have to do the ride again some time.

Afterward, we headed down the hill and stopped for a sandwich at the supermarket ("Bianchini's Market" I think?) -- turkey, pepper jack, avocado, purple onion, jalapeño -- $8.49 (feeds two) plus a buck for "honest tea". Everything was delicious.

No comments: