Saturday, August 01, 2009

What's best in life?

I recently decided that there are few things in life better than preparing a meal for people you love and enjoying it with them. There may be (just) a few -- I can't think of many.

This was a terrific week for me. No, I didn't win the lottery, and I didn't even prepare a meal for my family. (The teenager and the lovely Carol were both in New Mexico--they still are in fact.) Let's see, I'll start with a couple of fortunate things and go on from there.
  • Our federal income tax refund came, as did a nontrivial product rebate check.
  • The doctor's office called with my blood test results -- they're moving in the right direction!
  • Several great conversations about spirituality and life issues: one with a college student who's taking some terrific steps to grow closer to Jesus, another with an engineer considering whether to fully trust Jesus, and a couple more;
  • Talked and prayed with a friend concerned about the future;
  • Helped write a sermon study guide for this weekend's services;
  • Helped a friend figure out the source of the mysterious mounds in his front yard;
  • Great times with the ex-teenager talking about lots of things;
  • We went on a bike ride (about 22 miles) today -- got a pretty good workout and had root beer floats when we got back; we prepared dinner together tonight too.
How could life be any better? Two things. First, safe return of the lovely Carol and the teenager to my loving arms (about 25 hours away now). Second, this computer (a gift from my buddy Kipp) not to freeze up any more. I have a working speculation that "noapic" will help (so far no crashes with "noapic" on boot) but....

No comments: