Tuesday, January 29, 2008

What's in it for me?

A rich young man came to Jesus, wanting to know the way of eternal life, and went away sad. But today I want to focus on the disciples, who are surprised by Jesus's comments.
"Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked, "Who then can be saved?"

Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

Peter answered him, "We have left everything to follow you! What then will there be for us?"
Matthew 19:24-27
I love these guys. I love how, at least in this passage, they engage with Jesus fully, asking him about what troubles them.

"What's in it for me?" says Peter, speaking for the rest of them -- and for us too, if we're honest. What is he hoping Jesus will say? Does Peter hope for fame? He got that -- beyond his dreams! Did he hope for wealth? I don't think he got that one -- or long life on earth either. But if he had it to do over again, would he pass on Jesus's invitation? Not a chance!

What do I hope Jesus will say to me? What do you and I want from Jesus?

What I want first of all is to want what he wants for me. I want to be changed, to be purified. Because right now, the security and wealth thing is more attractive to me than it deserves to be.

No comments: