Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Don't get too distracted

You've heard people say sometimes, "I resemble that remark"? I sometimes resemble this passage:
Now as they were traveling along, they entered a certain village, where a woman named Martha welcomed them into her home. She had a sister called Mary, who moreover was seated at the Lord's feet, listening to his word. But Martha was distracted with all her preparations, and she came up to him and said, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do all the serving alone? Then tell her to help me!"

But Jesus answered her, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and bothered about many things, but only a few things are necessary, really only one. Mary has chosen the good part, and it will not be taken from her."
Luke 10.38-42
It was probably nearly 20 years ago, and David and Karen were over for dinner. Meal preparation did not go exactly according to plan, and I was trying to catch up. After dinner, I was popping up, asking, "How about some coffee?" when Karen got me to sit down.

"Why don't you just sit down and talk some more? That would be better," she said. Or something like that. She was very gentle, not sounding exasperated, but just wanting us to enjoy each other's company.

I took that as a gift from the Lord, making the above passage real to me.

I'd like to tell you that since that time I've slowed down and taken more time to be at peace, to listen to the Lord's words, to enjoy fellowship with Jesus and with others. Is it true? I don't know, but it's something to aim for.

No comments: