Saturday, March 03, 2007

Be still

One of the things that is hard for me to do is to just sit still and meditate. I like to have something to read, a puzzle or problem to work on, or something to watch or listen to. Or something to write with. So here's something I need to read:
1God is our refuge and strength
A very present help in time of trouble.
2Therefore we will not fear,
Though the earth give way
and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
...
10"Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth."
Psalm 46.1-2,10
I think there is a connection between God's command to "Be still and know that I..." and the psalmist's words that "we will not fear."

The temptation for me is to think I can do things to keep the world under control. This is apparently not a particularly new conceit; it's been around for at least a few thousand years.

Now it is true that we can do things to change the world, or the parts of the world under our influence. We can bring blessings to those around us. We can make life miserable for others. And we have seen a few times too many that high school kids can get access to firearms and end the lives of dozens of their classmates. So we can and do have an impact on the world, and much of the time that is how God chooses to bless the world -- that is, by using people like you and me in others' lives.

But the world isn't under our control -- at least not much of it is, and nothing that's ultimately meaningful. And for me to remember that, it's good to sit still once in a while. Not reading or writing or watching, not working on a puzzle or problem. Not sleeping. But listening and waiting. I think I'll go do that right now.

Pray for me?

No comments: