Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Unwholesome words?

Some years ago, in one of those "verse packs," this verse from Ephesians 4 appeared:
Let no unwholesome word come forth out of your mouth, but only such [a word] as is good for edification, according to need, that it may give grace to those who hear
Ephesians 4.29
Well, I try to avoid those unwholesome words, but I'm not always successful.

But what's "unwholesome"? Some years ago I did a study on this section of Ephesians and discovered that the word translated "unwholesome" doesn't just mean "inappropriate" or "not too useful." Rather it means something more like "utterly without value" or "intrinsically useless."

H'm. You would think with that definition, the command wouldn't be too hard to follow, right? (I'd think so, anyway.)

Well, it's still hard. Sometimes I get totally frustrated and say things that I really regret later. Some of the words that come out of my mouth really are utterly without value. Which is sad.

Now let's look at the next verse: And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption (Eph. 4.30). Do you suppose there's a connection between letting fly with utterly worthless words, and grieving God's Holy Spirit? Gaaa!

Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and abusing that power is a grievous thing.

Lord, please help me.

posted 9/27

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe your quote is actually Ephesians 4:29.

Collin said...

Right you are. Thanks! Now corrected.